Sunday, January 11, 2009

Bloggin'.

Ahh, blogs. I feel ambiguous about them, an attitude I hope will change over the course of this class. I have never read any blogs or done any blogging myself; I had to look up online where the word even originated from (web log!). Blogging has always struck me as self-indulgent: the ramblings of any asshole with access to a computer and the inclination to express their thoughts, however menial or poorly written. Now I think this is also the genius of the blog. Anyone and everyone can throw their ideas out there, can add to the discourse on any and every subject. I like that there isn't censorship, that the only limit is one's imagination, that we are communicating with each other in a new way-adapting to the encroachment of technology into our lives. Slogging through all the bad to get to the good seems a small price to pay for this freedom of thought and expression.

I looked at this website (ProBlogger) that listed the 9 signs of effective blog post, and thought this line was interesting:

"What they all [blogs] ultimately share is the desire to get their reader to do something-to feel or act a certain way, to buy a product, to think a thought, to answer a question, to leave a comment, or even just to respect the author. Bloggers imagine some outcome, and trust to their writing skills to get their readers there."

I'm still trying to figure it out, I'm behind the times. But the more I explore this world, the more intriguing I find it. I think I may even like it!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think the greatest threat posed by both democracy and technology is a matter of apathy. Democracy is effective only as much as people are involved, and the antidote to an asshole blogger is a non-asshole blogger.

    ReplyDelete